Who are we?
MagnaFlow got its start as a natural extension of Car Sound Exhaust systems. Our parent company specializes in superior catalytic converter technology and has spent the last 30 years earning its reputation as a market leader around the world. We’re proud to continue this tradition through producing the best sounding, best performing and most durable exhaust components in the world. If you’re looking for quality, power and sound, then you’re looking for MagnaFlow.
General Description: As an R&D Engineer, you will research, develop, and deliver next-generation technology to ensure MagnaFlow stays relevant in the automotive industry for years to come. You will be a part of MagnaFlow Development (MFD), a team dedicated solely to the advancement of new products, technologies, and processes. No solution is off the table. Development team members are expected to think creatively, challenge organizational norms, and strive to exceed aftermarket industry standards. MFD team members are self-initiators and strong independent workers but must be able to research and solve complex technical problems through active collaboration and communication with the team.
- Apply technical knowledge and creative thinking to propose and develop innovative solutions for a variety of need areas, which will often include several different approaches
- Investigate emerging technologies, trends, and opportunities
- Design prototypes and test equipment while minimizing cost
- Write and execute Engineering Test Plans with clear and organized documentation
- Create new parts, assemblies, and technical drawings in SolidWorks
- Present research solutions, data, and decisions in a clear, concise format to company stakeholders
- Communicate with suppliers to request samples or gather materials
- Travel periodically to automotive shows, car meets, and events
- Organize and manage multiple projects, daily meetings, and minor responsibilities concurrently
- Support MagnaFlow interns (with support from senior colleagues) to achieve project goals
- A degree (or equivalent experience) in Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, Manufacturing Engineering, Structural Engineering, or similar technical subject.
- Experience with previous roles and projects involving research, development, design, and testing
- Awareness of the automotive industry, including emerging consumer and technological trends
- Well-rounded fundamental engineering aptitude (design, analysis, testing, and manufacturing in mechanical and basic electronic systems)
- Experience with CAD Software (SolidWorks preferred)
- Experience using 3D printers
- Ability to read and interpret mechanical drawings / GD&T
- Confident interpersonal and team communication skills
- Ability to work self-directed and as a member of a team
- Basic hands on fabrication skills (welding, mill, lathe, laser cutting, soldering, etc.)
- Experience with 3D scanning and metrology equipment
- Fluids, thermodynamics, or acoustics knowledge
- Design Analysis and Simulation (FEM/CFD)
- Passion for all things automotive
Must be able to sit and stand intermittently, use a keyboard, climb stairs occasionally, and lift up to 25 pounds with or without accommodations.
These duties may be expanded, deleted or changed at any time per management’s discretion.