Manufacturing Engineering Intern
Job Description & Qualifications
Internship Timeline: Approximate timeframe from late-May to mid-September (We will work to
accommodate both Semester or Quarter schedules)
Position location: Oceanside, CA
General Description: The Manufacturing Engineering Intern is responsible for providing daily
technical support for all different MagnaFlow value streams in order to maintain and enhance Key
Performance Indicators. They will learn to apply technical knowledge of product design, fabrication,
assembly processes, tooling, product flow and materials for cost reduction and continuous
improvement initiatives driven by multidisciplinary project timelines, effectiveness and accuracy of
The Manufacturing Engineering Intern will create/manage project timelines, design/implement
tooling, transition products from engineering to production, perform detailed labor/material cost
calculations, and create/maintain BOM and routing data into the ERP system.
• Troubleshoot and support parts and products across the manufacturing floor
• Develop new processes to take products from design to production
• Design and build tools or fixtures
• Write work instructions
• Drive and sustain cost-effective, efficient production; eliminate waste
• Spec out machinery and create factory layouts
• Support all safety, environmental and health strategies, policies, practices and cultural behaviors
• Working towards a Bachelor's degree in an Engineering or related discipline
• Excellent written and oral communication skills
• Ability to read and interpret basic mechanical drawings
• Lean Manufacturing and Six Sigma experience highly desirable
• Ability to multitask and work extended hours under pressure as necessary by demand
• Strong and independent organizational, analytical, and project management skills
• Hands-on experience is a must
• CNC robotics, welding, and machining experience a plus
Ability to design for manufacturability (DFM)
• Familiarity for geometric dimensioning and tolerancing (GD&T)
• Passion for the automotive industry
• Bilingual in Spanish is desirable
• Experience using: MS Office, SolidWorks, AutoCad, ERP/IFS, MiniTab
Must be able to sit and stand intermittently, use a keyboard, climb stairs occasionally, and lift up to 25
pounds with or without accommodations. These duties may be expanded, deleted, or changed at any
time per management’s discretion.
The intern candidate evaluation process has been designed to allow both the candidate and MagnaFlow
the time necessary to gain a solid, candid understanding of one another to ensure the candidate will be
successful in the internship.
The evaluation process will include a combination of phone and video interviews. During the process,
the candidate will have the opportunity to speak with members of Manufacturing, Executive Management
and Human Resources.
What’s In It For You?
• We Pay You! -- Get paid $25 an hour for the entire summer.
• Tangible results – Know and understand in-depth the problems you are working to solve.
• Experience in action – Learn how various teams throughout the organization collaborate and
align on multiple business priorities simultaneously.
• Leadership mentoring – Meet with the MagnaFlow leadership team members to see how
they got where they are now.
• Network with our other summer interns to share your experiences – Excellent
opportunity to network and compare what you are learning with like-minded people and
establish long-term professional relationships.
• Solving real business problems alongside our team of developers – Solve a business
problem from start to finish with the help of our team.
Project presentation with key stake holders of the business – Present a project you
started and completed at the end of the summer to the leadership team.
• MagnaFlow SWAG – You get cool MagnaFlow SWAG to wear.
• Paid Holidays – Get the same holiday benefits that our team members enjoy.
INTERN APPLICATION QUESTIONS:
Please answer the below questions (at least 2-3 sentences), and submit this page together with your resume. Phone / video interviews will be scheduled during the month of January 2021.
1. What experience or interest do you have with the automotive industry?
2. Why do you want to work for MagnaFlow?
3. What separates you / your candidacy from your peers in your field of study?
4. What are you looking to learn during an internship opportunity at MagnaFlow?
5. Describe a scenario where you solved a problem on a project that had minimal instruction.
6. Tell us something unique about you as an individual that may not come through from your resume.
7. If selected for the internship, what dates will you be available to work?