Reports to: Plant Manager
The Production Manager is responsible for managing operations in the Oceanside production facility for MagnaFlow. The Production Manager is responsible for all operation aspects and KPI controls within all departments including safety, quality, customer service, efficiency, optimized staffing and training of direct labor production personnel to achieve customer quality and delivery demands. Maintains direct responsibility as a process owner to lead, motivate, inspire, coordinate and collaborate with multi functional support groups in order to drive discipline, best practices and a world class continuous improvement culture to help the team attain and sustain the highest levels of operational excellence.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
The Production Managers primary responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Be a champion and strong role model for safety, environmental and health strategies, policies, practices and behaviors.
- Actively participates and supports all Safety Committee activities
- Sustains and leads by example on acceptable 5S standards and discipline levels.
- Makes sure his team keeps areas clean and aisles free of unnecessary items and WIP.
- Ensures the safety of the crew by enforcing proper Personal Protective Equipment and Dress Code rules throughout the department(s).
- Maintains acceptable housekeeping according to 5S standards
- Ensure all products and components meet Quality Standards according to SOP’s.
- Drives First Time Quality (FTQ) process in all areas
- Delivers acceptable scrap controls and metrics
- Conducts root cause analysis to eliminate/reduce scrap and/or rework.
- Maintains effective communication with engineering to report design issues with parts (pipe, flanges, and fixtures).
- Advises on the operating unit's design, configuration/layout, size, specific equipment/tools and capabilities to optimize efficiency while controlling/reducing cost.
- Ensuring that all material entering and exiting the department’s area are properly identified and accounted for in IFS system in accordance with ISO procedures.
- Ensures proper movement of material in accordance with the schedule, while meeting the hourly, daily, and weekly production output targets for the department.
- Ensuring internal and external customer quality and production expectations are met on a daily basis
- Liaise with cross-functional partners to anticipate, mitigate and/or prevent any probable de
- Fills out shop Routers for each component, orders materials according to pick list and properly reports all produced parts in IFS
- Plan, schedule and anticipate effective production activities and managing/supervising production operations.
- Drive and sustain cost-effective, efficient production through the application of lean manufacturing principles.
- Lead by example on the constant efforts to deploy a robust continuous improvement culture of change to create overburden, variability and waste awareness
- Actively leads, participate, and/or engage in initiatives and projects aimed at improving KPI’s, problem solving structure, culture and employee retention.
- Implement, sustain and control TPM initiatives
- Responsible to "Manage by Facts" by maintaining effective visual communication tools
- Recommend measures to improve production methods, equipment performance and quality of product.
- Actively promotes company values and leads by example
- Build, develop, sustain, and retain a high performing team.
- Maintains acceptable attendance and absenteeism metrics to promote discipline and behavior
- Creates a positive, healthy, conducive work environment for the team to complete their assigned responsibilities / tasks
- Collaborates with other Production Managers and/ or departments to flex resources based on daily production conditions
- Performs basic administration of supervisory responsibilities and documents; hiring, training, completing performance reviews
- Conducts daily team meetings to proactively review KPI’s metrics and problem solving structure
- Lead, participate, and present in strategic management meetings.
- Actively participates as a tour guide/host to support Sales group needs
- Ensuring proper training of employees in job duties and functions, utilizing Training Database.
QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS AND EDUCATION:
- Bachelor's degree in Industrial engineering, business management, logistics, or process engineering or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 7+ years of management/supervisory experience with a mid to large size manufacturing company
- Proven data driven management experience utilizing standard Toyota Production System tools and metrics
- Proven experience in managing cultural turnaround
- Demonstrated problem solving skills following DMAIC or PDCA structure
- Excellent communication skills: speaking, writing, listening
- Articulate and persuasive; can communicate difficult and complex matters in a straightforward, transparent manne
- Ability to multi-task and work extended hours under pressure as necessary by demand
- Strong and independent organizational, analytical, detailed planning and project management skills
- Strong working knowledge and experience in lean manufacturing and quality programs, with the ability to identify improvement opportunities to eliminate/reduce overburden, variability and waste.
- Must be able to properly communicate with crew in a highly professional and respectable manner
- Lean or Six Sigma training or certification highly desired
- Bilingual in Spanish highly desirable
- Ability to read, understand and interpret 2D drawings
- Basic computer skills
- Ability to use measuring devices (caliper, tape measure, etc.)
Must be able to sit and stand intermittently, use a keyboard, climb stairs occasionally, and lift up to 25 pounds with or without accommodations.
These duties may be added, deleted, or changed at management’s discretion at any time.
Job Status: Full Time