Safety & Training Specialist
MagnaFlow is looking for a Safety and Training Manager to join our innovative team. The Safety and Training Manager will be responsible for the full coordination and management of safety and training programs that contribute to meeting the mission and goals of MagnaFlow and all other regulatory agencies. This role is for an energetic individual with a passion for employee safety and can communicate corporate and state regulations cross-functionally throughout the business. This role is a great opportunity for someone with a strong ability to train, influence and motivate team members, attention to detail, positive can-do attitude and who enjoys making safety a priority in the workforce.
- Be a leader and strong role model for safety, environmental and health strategies, policies, practices and behaviors.
- Actively leads all Safety Committee activities, agenda preparation, reports, follow ups, incentive programs, etc.
- Maintain an effective Injury and Illness Prevention Plan (IIPP)
- Coordinate all different safety programs, training and documentation, including but not limited to: Lockout/Tagout, IIPP, Evacuation Procedures, PPE, Pedestrian Safety, Ergonomics, Heat Stress, Bloodborne Pathogens, etc.
- Compiles, analyzes, maintains and interprets Safety statistical data related to exposure factors concerning occupational illnesses and accidents, first aid incidents, near miss records and observations
- Conduct root cause analysis for accident reports and evaluate injury case studies
- Prepare and conduct safety training sessions for employees at all levels
- Interfacing with Workers Comp and Liability Insurance broker representative, insurance Carrier representative, and OSHA, and various environmental program inspectors.
- Seeking out opportunities for staff involvement and innovation to promote employee creativity and to generate ideas to improve functions, devise solutions, and implement plans.
- Communicating training to new hires with regard to PPE, machine operation and safety in an on-the job setting as well as a times in a formal classroom setting, on various safety and environmental programs.
- Responsible for effective application of safety and environmental policies and practices and to investigate and eliminate hazardous conditions and practices
- Through safety and environmental training sessions, ISO documents, meetings, manuals, bulletins, films, etc., keep supervisors and leaders informed of hazardous conditions and practices and to investigate and eliminate hazardous conditions and practices, recommend injury prevention measures.
- Performing safety walks with safety committee, insurance carriers, or consultants.
- Conducts new/modified equipment safety assessment in coordination with Maintenance and Engineering teams
- Collaborates with Managers and team leaders from different departments to promote and implement best safety practices
- Work in partnership with the Human Resources team to support Onboarding and Orientation safety training efforts
- Studying work operations, details of nature of the work, materials, and equipment used, products, byproducts, and employee workforce profile. Industrial hygiene studies may involve exposure to dust, fumes, mists, gases, vapors, noise, heath, and cold.
- Assessing new development in the safety and environmental field that may have application to the company’s operations. Keeps apprised of developments in federal and state safety and applicable environmental laws likely to affect the company.
- Coordinating safety and industrial hygiene with insurance carriers.
- Assisting floor staff and leaders to understand OSHA regulations, and standards, including guidance on handling OSHA compliance, inspections, and citations.
- Updating training records on each employee upon successful completion of on the job, or classroom training..
- Outlining training requirements of each position with the company.
- Ensuring employees are properly trained on all Key Points of equipment, policies, processes, and procedures.
- Administer the Hazardous Waste and Non-Hazardous Waste Streams.
- Maintain SDS sheets for all chemicals and raw materials.
- Submit all workers compensation claims via carrier’s website
- Communicate with clinics regarding injuries and status updates
- Complete monthly injury reports
- Respond to all carriers’ correspondence regarding injuries
- Help employees & managers coordinate doctor appointments with claim matters
- Willingness to travel.
- 5-7 years' equivalent experience in manufacturing field, preferably in metal manufacturing and fabrication..
- Minimum of 3 years of management level experience.
- Bilingual Spanish required.
- First aid/CPR Trained preferred.
- Forklift instructor certified preferred.
- Successful completion of and hold certifications in courses such as HazMat technician, emergency responder, , and other safety environmental topics preferred.
- Working knowledge of safety regulations, OSHA, EPA, hazardous materials, and emergency preparedness.
- Proficiency using Microsoft Word, Excel and Power Point
Must be able to sit and stand intermittently, use a keyboard, climb stairs occasionally, and lift up to 25 pounds with or without accommodations.
These duties may be expanded, deleted or changed at any time per management’s discretion.
Job Status: Full Time